Sunday, March 20, 2011

Missha BB Cream vs. MAC Select SPF 15 Foundation

   Food food food... That’s all I’ve been blogging about so far. So here’s my first blog post on makeup! I’ve been meaning to write some product reviews but it just takes so much longer than doing food posts LOL! I actually already wrote a blog post about this exact topic but it got deleted and auto-saved blank by accident! So here’s to round two of writing the exact same blog post! 
How... Nostalgic...

   The first item on the list is the Missha M Perfect Cover BB Cream. Let’s talk background: BB Cream stands for Blemish Balm Cream and was popularized by Korean Celebrities. There isn’t a wide range of shades for this product which is such a bummer because it’s becoming such a popular product on the Western side of the world too. These are the following shades offered:

No. 13 Milky Beige = NC10-15

No. 21 Light Beige = NC15-20

No. 23 Natural Beige = NC25-30

No. 31 Golden Beige = NC35-40

  





   Although I’m an NC35, I bought shade No.23 and I personally think it looks fine. It blends magically into my skin and trust me when I say a little will go a LONG way!! As with most BB Creams, the colour is a little grayish-whitish-ashy... Not because I’m not matching myself to the “right shade” but because of the high SPF in the product. Missha BB Cream has an amazing SPF42. Most Western foundations only offer SPF 15. The consistency of this product is obviously creamy but it has a very buildable coverage. This means that yes, girls with good skin can still use this product as long as it’s applied with a light hand. Even if you “accidently” pack on mounds of the stuff on your face, it won’t cake or crease. But do trust me when I say that this product will give you a major white cast if you apply too much (Hello Casper’s Cousin!). Less is more, ladies. And like I said, a little will go a long way and will provide you great coverage.


   The packaging is very travel-friendly and convenient. It comes in a tube with a pump and secure nozzle lid. I have never experienced any product leak/explosion in my bag. I really like foundations that come with a pump because it’s so much more hygienic and bag-friendly. A “fair” price range for this product would be $15-20CAD for a 50ml tube (taxes and s/h already included!) This product promises to “lighten skin tone by healing visible wrinkles and blemishes with excellent skin-cover ability, and prevent skin aging through effective whitening and anti-wrinkle properties”. I’ve been using my Missha BB Cream for over a year now and while I can’t say much for its ability to heal blemishes or wrinkles, I will say that this product has not broken out my super sensitive oily acne-prone skin. I’ve worn this product for over 12 hrs (busy busy days! Bad, I know..) and only required some light blotting. There is some decent sebum control power in this product, but I wouldn’t skip out on primer and/or blotting sheets ;)

   I like to apply this product using my Sigma Sigmax HD Flat-top Brush (F80). I absolutely love the Sigmax Trio Brushes; I will write a full review soon. The bristles are super soft and dense which allows you to evenly spread the product all over your face while blending/buffing it into your skin for a natural finish. Even with the typical BB Cream ash-effect, I find that No.23 suits well with my NC35 in that it covers my acne scars and looks natural. If anything, it BRIGHTENS my complexion – no ash-effect here. When you first dispense this product, it looks so gray and unnatural. But if you apply it with the right brush, and remember to blend blend blend... Then you will honestly fall in love with BB Creams! Here’s half my hand with No.23 blended in. You can’t really see a difference IMO... But I’ll let you decide that for yourself. 

Any guessers as to which side is natural vs. BB Creamed?

   I previously owned a MAC Select Foundation but I’ve since then returned it. Fortunately, both of my younger sisters bought the MAC Select (one’s an NC30 and the other an NC40) so I was able to steal it from their rooms to swatch for this post MUAHAHAHAHA >:D This is a liquid foundation that comes in about 18 shades (NC20-50, NW15-47) and comes with SPF 15. MAC Select is a water-based foundation which means that it won’t clog your pores or irritate even sensitive skin (still test-swatch it just in case!) What this also means is that the coverage, while it is still buildable, is light-medium. I don’t suggest applying this type of foundation with a sponge as it will soak up all the product (spongebob!!!) and you’ll end up dispensing more than you really need. Denser brushes such as the Sigmax HD Brushes or MAC190 are recommended. Stay clear of using the ever-so-popular duo fibre brushes (ex. MAC187) with this product because it will leave streaks on your face. When applied correctly, this foundation will leave you with a very natural matte finish. The staying power of this foundation is decent (6hours or so). There isn’t any sebum control in this product so my oily girls will definitely have to remember them blotting sheets and use a good primer!

   The package is not travel-friendly at all. It comes in a glass bottle which can shatter in your bag. This retails for $32CAD + tax for 30ml. It’s not very hygienic because of its simplistic screw on cap. You’ll end up having to dip/pour/spill way too much product which is such a waste. Not to mention how this will increase the speed of your foundation oxidizing in the bottle! You can purchase a separate foundation pump at any MAC store for $7CAD (highly recommended). It has a twist open-close mechanism and a nozzle cap to further prevent leakage.


   Overall, the MAC Select is not a horrible product so go ahead and purchase it.... If you have good skin ;) And if you can pick up a sample or full-sized Missha BB Cream then I highly recommend you do so! Don’t be too intimidated to try new things, ladies. Just remember to apply with the right brush + use a light hand + little bit of product + blend blend BLEND!

No comments:

Post a Comment